This post is also available in: svenska
I’ve finally DIY:ed with concrete for the first time! I’ve been inspired by so many pretty concrete projects, but I couldn’t quite decide on whether I should make votives or egg cups. Then I got a pretty clever idea (if I may say so myself…) I used a silicone muffin pan and tea lights to create combined votives and egg cups!
This is a great beginners project, since it’s so easy to get the finished concrete out of the silicone mold.
Here’s how you do it:
DIY CONCRETE VOTIVES + EGG CUPS TUTORIAL
Concrete, water, bucket, something to stir with, muffin pan in silicone, tea lights and sandpaper.
- Mix concrete with water according to instructions on the package.
- Fill the silicone muffin pan with concrete almost all the way up. Slam the pan against a hard surface a couple of times to release air bubbles from the concrete.
- Push down a tea light in the middle of every muffin form. The concrete should now reach the upper edge of the muffin form. If not – add some more concrete.
- Smooth the edges.
- Place the muffin pan in a cool place, but warmer than 5°C / 40°F. If placed in room temperature, you need to drizzle some water over the concrete once a day, in order for it not the set too fast. Push the tea lights down now and then during the first 24 hours, because they will rise.
- After 2-3 days the votives / egg cups can be removed from the muffin pan.
- Use a sandpaper to smoothen the top.
I’d love to see how your concrete egg cups turned out! Make sure you tag me at @hungryheart.se or link to this page, so I can find you. =)