This post is also available in: svenska
I’m going to show you how to make your own air dry clay from ingredients that are probably already in your pantry. The clay can then be used for making pretty ornaments e.g. for the Christmas tree, a holiday garland or gift tags.
The clay is pure white and dries over night in room temperature. The finished result looks like porcelain and has a more “natural” finish than polymer clay. But above all, it’s fun and cheap to make your own clay!
This is how you make homemade air dry clay and Christmas decorations:
DIY HOMEMADE AIR DRY CLAY ORNAMENTS TUTORIAL
Baking soda, corn starch, water, saucepan, wooden spoon, bowl, towel, rolling pin, cookie cutters and string.
- Put 1 US cup baking soda, 1/2 US cup corn starch and 2/3 US cup water in a saucepan and mix until smooth. (Recipe from the book Mudworks, by MaryAnn F. Kohl).
- Cook over medium heat and bring to a boil. Stir continuously! When the consistency is like mashed potatoes, remove saucepan from stove and put the “mashed potatoes” in a bowl.
- Cover the bowl with a damp towel while cooling.
- Roll out the dough when cool.
- Use cookie cutters to make shapes in the clay.
- Make holes in the clay, e.g. with a pencil, a tooth pick or a straw.
- Remove excess clay.
- Let dry in room temperature over night.
- Put a string through the hole.
I made snowflake ornaments with the clay…