This post is also available in: svenska
The “semla” is a beloved Swedish pastry and is traditionally eaten on it’s own feast, called “Day of the Semla”. (This year it’s February 28th). Lately it has also become a tradition to make creative variations of the semla, e.g. pizza semla, taco semla and wrap semla.
I too wanted to make a fun version of the semla, but that still tasted like the original. Here it is: the mini donut semla! It’s small, super cute and sooo delicious!
The mini donut semla consists of an oven baked, mini cardamom donut (instead of the traditional cardamom bun). It’s topped with almond paste, whipped cream and powdered sugar just like the original semla. You’ve gotta try it!
(Mini donut semla recipe after the jump).
MINI DONUT SEMLA RECIPE
yields 24 mini donut semla
Mini cardamom donuts:
0,3 US cups (0,75 dl) room temperature milk
0,5 room temperature egg (beat a whole egg and then split mixture in half)
0,7 oz (20 g) butter + some extra to grease the pan with
0,6 US cups (1,5 dl) all-purpose flour
3 tbsp caster sugar
0,5 tsp baking powder
0,25 tsp vanilla sugar
a pinch of freshly ground cardamom
about 3,5 oz (100 g) almond paste
about 0,6 US cups (1,5 dl) full fat cream
(Mini donut semla recipe continues after picture).
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200 °C). Butter a mini donut pan.
- Melt butter.
- Beat milk, egg and melted butter in a bowl until combined.
- Bring out a clean bowl and combine flour, sugar, baking powder, vanilla sugar and cardamom in it.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture and mix until just combined. (Don’t stir to much or the donuts will get rubbery).
- Fill donut pan with batter about halfway up. The recipe yields 24 mini donuts, so if you have a pan that makes less donuts than that, you have to bake in turns.
- Bake donuts in oven for about 8 minutes until they get a bit of a golden color. Remove donuts from form and let cool on a rack.
- Roll out the almond paste (it should be pretty thick) and punch out circles.
- Whip the cream.
- Put an almond paste circle on each mini donut, pipe a dollop of cream on top and dust with powdered sugar.