This post is also available in: svenska
I absolutely adore the Ferm Living Spear Tray in light wood and pastel colored geometric pattern. However, the price tag says $80 and I would never pay that much money for a tray. Instead I decided to make a DIY version of the Ferm Living Tray and the material only costed $4!
I started off with a hideous brown tray with a rooster motif. It got quite the makeover…
DIY GEOMETRIC TRAY MAKEOVER TUTORIAL
An old tray, sandpaper, geometric patterned paper (I used this one), glue stick, brush and matte varnish.
1. Find an old tray at a flee market or in the attic.
2. Use sandpaper to remove old paint.
3. Remove old varnish or plastic coating from the surface.
4. Cut out a piece of pretty paper exactly as big as the tray.
5. Apply glue, preferably from a glue stick, on the tray. You can also use Mod Podge.
6. Place the paper on the tray and smooth out bubbles. Let dry.
7. When the glue is completely dry, coat the tray with a matte varnish. Let dry and then apply a second coat.