This post is also available in: svenska
One of my favorite quotes is “Of all the books in the world, the best stories are found between the pages of a passport”. I love discovering new places, getting to know different cultures and being filled with new inspiration. Some of my finest memories and best adventures were experienced during my travels.
To honor this, I made a passport cover embossed with the travel quote above. The material is reused leather from an old purse that was purchased on the other side of the globe a couple of decades ago. (Step by step tutorial a bit further down in this blog post).
In Sweden it’s common to give storybooks as christening gifts. Since I was going to attend a baptism for a little boy who’s parents love to travel, I decided to give him this passport cover to fill with his own stories instead.
Here’s how to make an embossed leather passport with a travel quote:
DIY EMBOSSED LEATHER PASSPORT COVER WITH TRAVEL QUOTE
Leather (preferably reused, e.g. from an old handbag), lining, thick and strong thread, needle, letter punch, hammer, gold paint, small brush.
- Cut out a piece of leather with the short sides about 0.8 inches longer than the height of your passport. The long sides should be double the width of your passport + 0.8 inches (see step by step picture).
- Fold the piece of leather in half and put something in between, e.g. a notebook (otherwise the backside of the passport gets embossed too). Place on a hard and flat surface.
- First practice embossing on a scrap piece of leather. Then place 1-2 letter punches a time on the leather and give them a whack with the hammer.
- Keep on embossing until the entire quote is in place. I chose “of all the books in the world, the best stories are found between the pages of a passport.”
- Cut out the lining. It should be as big as the embossed piece of leather but divided in two (see step by step picture).
- Cut out a strip in the middle to be able to close the passport cover without the lining folding (see step by step picture).
- Sew the leather and the lining together by placing a seam around the entire passport. You can either use a sewing machine or hand stitch. In the latter case you might need an awl or leather punch to make holes before sewing.
- It should look like this.
- Fill in the embossed letters with gold paint. Let dry. Have a nice trip with your stylish passport cover!